Maple Pecan Pumpkin Pie
I used the bold options.
Single Crust Pie Pastry
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups (15 ounce can) pumpkin
1 cup whipping cream
or (3/4 c. milk +1/4 c. cream) or evaporated milk (didn't have enough cream)
1/4 cup maple syrup (3/4 c. if w/o topping)
1 tablespoon rum (or bourbon or brandy) or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single-crust pie.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together in order given. Pour mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan.
- Without topping : bake for 15 minutes. Lower temp to 350, 40 min. or til set.
(Never tried, but noting for later) Topping:
- Partially bake for 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon; stir to mix. Add pecan halves, stir to mix. Gently arrange pecan topping over the top of the pie.
- Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer until the topping is lightly browned and a kitchen knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack before cutting and serving. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
Searched for an Atkins pumpkin pie, for aunt's diet - No sweetener, sugar, etc. Just some dates in this crust:
Almond-Pecan Pie Crust
1 cup almonds 1/2 cup pecans 1/3 cup chopped pitted soft dates, such as Med-Jool 3 tablespoons water
other: wax paper
In separate bowls, cover almonds and pecans with water and let soak for 8 to 12 hours.
Drain and rinse. In a food processor, grind almonds to consistency of moist meal. Place in a medum-size bowl and set aside. In a food processor, grind pecans to consistency of moist meal and stir into almond meal. Set aside. In a food processor, blend dates and water until smooth. Stir into nut mixture until thoroughly mixed and dough-like in consistency. Shape nut mixture into a ball and place on 12" length of waxed paper. Top with another 12" length of waxed paper. Flatten ball with palm of hand. Using rolling pin, rollout dough into a circle 11" in diameter. Carefully remove top sheet of paper. Invert pie crust into an oiled 9" pie plate, pressing gently. Trim excess crust and press gently to even edges of dough. Place crust in a food dehydrator set at 125 degrees for 2 hours. (Or preheat conventional oven to 250 degrees and immediately turn off heat. Let crust sit in oven with door closed until it is dry and set, about 30 minutes.) Note - it will not be very set, it is still sticky and very moist and will fall apart when cut,
Btw, sometimes I want to see if the gaps version will bake well:
Or could use just nut crust.
ATKINS pumpkin pie Filling: