My plan: use Gluten Free Girl's pie crust.
And here's the filling I'll make:
Honey-Sweetened Apple Pie with Spelt CrustFROM http://www.nourishingdays.com
Recipe Notes: This pie is not terribly sweet, ...Served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream sweetened with stevia (or maple syrup), ...If you prefer a sweeter pie filling add a touch more honey and a touch more flour, to counteract the liquid.
- 1 pie crust recipe, using whole spelt or sprouted flour (see sources)
- ~ 7 large granny smith or other baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup honey, heated until pourable
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch each of cloves, nutmeg, and sea salt
- 1/3 cup flour, preferably sprouted (see sources)
- Prepare pie crust. Roll out and fill 9" pie pan with bottom crust.
- Mix apple slices, honey, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, sea salt, and flour in a large bowl. Taste for sweetness and adjust if necessary.
- Carefully pour apple mixture into prepared pie crust, filling in gaps and holes along the way. Your pie filling will seem like way too much, creating a mountain of apples in the middle. Don’t worry, it cooks down a little bit and you want a higher pie filling.
- Roll out top crust. Create an egg wash with one egg white and a tablespoon of water. Brush the bottom crust edge with egg wash.
- To transfer crust to pie: Place rolling pin over one side of crust. Very carefully and loosely roll the crust around the rolling pin and bring the rolling pin to the pie. Carefully unroll the crust and drape over the pie filling. Don’t worry if tears appear, you can patch it up. A rustic pie lets everyone know it’s homemade.
- Trim the edge of the crust to about 1-inch over the rim. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust and crimp the 2 together with your fingers. Brush the entire top crust with the egg wash and cut 4 or 5 slits for ventilation.
- Place the pie on a sheet pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until golden brown. If the edges start to brown too fast remove the pie and cover the edges in aluminum foil.