Saturday, October 5, 2013

Best White/Navy Beans

The best because they are easy to digest (read: minimal flatulence!).
Soak:
 4 c. dried Beans
12 c. or 1 1/2 q. water (filtered best for "sprouting")
4 T. whey/lemon juice 

for 24 hours.

Rinse.  Add 12 c. water.
Crock pot low for 8 hours
Drain.

My crock pot chili recipe cooks on low for 12 hours.
Add 1/4 t. dried ginger and 1/2 t. salt or more to every cup of dried beans.

When menu planning, I remember that cooking beans takes about 1 1/2 days, so start no later than the morning before the evening I'll serve them, and check the freezer for space if I want to (double and) freeze some.

For taco beans, I add
two onions
2 T. salt
 6 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper
1/2 tsp. chili
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. oregano
3 T. cumin (at least )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! I greatly value thoughtful comments!! ~ Gabriela