Blog commenters: grated carrot instead of sugar in my sauce.
- 2 pound ground meat (used half turkey from costco/72% lean beef)
- 2 tablespoon dried minced onion [= 1/2 c. raw; prefer tripled ]
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (used 1/2 t. minced jarred)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning [subbed fresh/frozen basil - 3 parts fresh = 1 part dried]
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles(macaroni stays together well), broken into smaller pieces (used tru Roots GF Penne)
- [added 3 handfuls of fresh spinach and a handful of chopped canned olives(both almost unnoticable) ]
- 2 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Fill the used can with water 2x
- 4 cups tomato sauce (32 ounces) [used crushed/1 1/2 c. paste+2 c. water]
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons sucanat [skipped]
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground meat.
- When meat is browned, add everything but noodles, bring to a boil, covered, then add them.
- Stir every 3- 5 minutes until macaroni are barely al dente - residual heat will cook them soft. They will get more likely to stick to the bottom near the end.
Yield: 4-5 servings