Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Why I Live in Survival Mode


Fall 2011: Had my wedding two weeks before my last college semester started.  Adjusting to new life (Insurance...what's that? budgeting? utilities? MEAL PLANNING?)  and home (this is cramped) while I grew my studio.

Spring 2012:  Graduated and found out we were expecting.

Fall 2012: Moved, birthed Astrid Elizabeth.

Spring 2013: Moved to Virginia (with a 6 month old, in the dead of winter. Ay.); reestablished studio, spent about 2 months total visiting Florida over the next year.

Spring 2014: Moved to a different apartment.  Found out we're having #2.


The ways that I've grown have been tremendous.  I can think and accomplish so much better than I did before I was married.  My faith is stronger from many different challenges.  But it's been very tough.

Besides prayers, reading has been the most helpful to me as I try to overcome the tremendous new challenges over the past 2 1/2 years.

I'm so hesitant to buy books, first because I haven't found many recommendation sources, and second because, will I actually make time to read them? :) Each baby has pushed me to get and read a great book that pulled me through and pushed me forward. 

First Baby: Large Family Logistics, Brennaman
Second Baby: Say Goodbye to Survival Mode, Crystal Paine




Books I think WILL help once I read them :)

  Manage Your Day to Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind - 99U

Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Covey
 
 Drive: The Surprising Truth About Which Motivates Us  Daniel H. Pink

Most of these were recommended by ModernMrsDarcy.com, the blogger who wrote one more I'll add to the list:


How She Does It: An everywoman's guide to breaking old rules, getting creative, and making time for work in your actual, everyday life. 5$ [Kindle Edition] Anne Bogel


Recently, Anne Bogel wrote something on her blog that I took to heart:

"I’m stopping to read for a full hour during rest time. This feels so indulgent, and it is, but it’s also a huge source of renewal for me.  I’m writing first thing in the morning and I’m not checking my email before breakfast. (Quote that made me say ouch: “It’s better to disappoint a few people over small things, than to surrender your dreams for an empty inbox. Otherwise you’re sacrificing your potential for the illusion of professionalism.”) 
"...I want to work hard, but I’m also building renewal into my days."           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! I greatly value thoughtful comments!! ~ Gabriela