Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Popular Coconut and Almond Flour Bread

Coconut Milk Bread

gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo
Wet Ingredients:
1 & 1/4 cups coconut milk, room temperature
4 whisked eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Dry :
2 cups | 240g almond flour (I have used both Bob’s and Honeyville in this recipe)
1/2 cup | 70g coconut flour, sifted to remove any lumps
2 tbsp psyllium husk POWDER
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1) Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across the bread loaf pan so that it goes down one of the long sides, across the bottom and back up the other long side.

2) Grease the two exposed glass ends of the dish. Set aside.
3) Add dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
4) Add wet ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer.
5) Add whisked dry ingredients to wet mixed ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer.
6) Using a flexible silicone spatula, scoop half of the batter into the prepared pan, and press it down firmly.
7) Add the rest of the batter to the dish using the flexible silicone spatula, and press down firmly again. (The top should be smooth and level when you’re finished.)
8) Bake for about 70 minutes.
9) Let the bread rest in the pan until cool.

Comments I might need:

I made a couple of alterations: (1) I omitted the honey (I didn’t want to eat a sweet bread); (2) I used psyllium husks, not powder; and (3) I baked it in two mini-loaf pans, not one pan. The resultant bread is moist but not cakey.

substituting flax meal for the psyllium husk. It has the texture of a very firm and dense banana bread.

I didn’t have any phylum husk powder but I did have some organic fiber powder, I used that instead and it turned out AMAZING! Held together great, even when toasted, and remained very moist also. Slightly denser than normal bread but that also means it filled up up more too!

I added 1 tsp of turmeric to try to counteract any “purplishness” that might appear.

I was a little unnerved about what I read about psyllium husk, so I swapped it out for ground teff.

freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! I greatly value thoughtful comments!! ~ Gabriela