bonapetit.com provided this simple make ahead dish when I had a need for some way to use my huge chard bunch!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced [1 t. powder)]
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped [2 tsp. minced ]
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, thick center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 12 cups) [forgot to measure my bunches]
- 1/2 cup heavy cream [(had half and half)]
- 12 large eggs
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated (about 1/2 cup)
DO AHEAD: The chard and cream mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Reheat before transferring to baking dish.
Add chard to skillet by the handful, tossing to wilt between additions. Cook, tossing often, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add cream and simmer until thickened and almost evaporated, 8-10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Spread chard mixture evenly in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, make 12 small, evenly spaced divots in the chard mixture. Crack 1 egg into each divot. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over.
Bake, rotating dish once, until egg whites are almost set and yolks are still runny, 15-18 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.