So basically, my enchiladas are 12 tortillas with 1/3 filling of 3 c. meat/beans, 2 c. cheese, 1/2 c. sauce, and chilis&cilantro mixture in each, with 1 c. sauce and 1 c. cheese on top. This saves me the trouble of frying bland tortillas.
Essentials: Easy Enchilada
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (1 1/2 pounds) (used gr. beef)
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (canned or homemade--recipe below)
- 1 to 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Lime wedges, sour cream, diced avocado, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce for serving, optional (I would not eat any of these things with enchiladas!)
- Heat oven to 400°F with a rack in
the middle. Combine the chicken, 2 cups of the cheese, 1/2 cup
of the enchilada sauce, the chiles, and cilantro. Season with salt and
pepper to taste.
3 Lightly grease a 9x13 inch dish. . Spread 1/3 cup filling evenly down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll the tortilla around the filling and lay seam-side down in the baking dish.
4 Lightly spray the enchiladas with vegetable oil spray (opt.). Pour the remaining 1 cup of enchilada sauce so that they are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover with foil and bake until enchiladas are heated through, 20-25 minutes.
5 Remove the foil and bake until the cheddar browns, about 5 minutes more.
Fast Enchilada Sauce
makes 2 1/2 cups. Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family CookbookHeat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook the onion and salt until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in the sauce and water. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar [(1 t. honey)]
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water